Sunday 7 March 2010

unapproachable

i took quickly think of God as the idol my mind had created; where he is my buddy and it's kind of me to give Him my time, but He knows that it's hard for me to care about Him. and when my mind and life wander i think that i can come back to Him with a knowing smile that says 'sorry to do that to you, but you know me...' as if i'm that friend who jokes about always being late.

in numbers they are counting the different branches of the Levite tribe and each branch has a different role in the assembly and disassembly of the tabernacle. the Kohathites deal with "the most holy things" - the ark of the Testimony, the table of the Presence, the lampstand, the gold altar, the articles for ministering in the sanctuary, the bronze altar, all the utensils. but it's Aaron's job to go in and cover everything in (usually three) layers of cloth before the Kohathites transport it.
and in numbers 4:20 it says about this set apart 'branch' of the Levite tribe of priests (which in the previous chapter have all been given to the LORD as the firstborn of Israel)
"But the Kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things,
even for a moment,
or they will die"
and if i sat and thought about that for long enough, as i should, i'd start to feel a very great weight in regards to God, and i'd probably not be so flippant or so wayward. and it would send me searching for something like the cross on calvary hill which is the one chance humanity has to know anything but destruction from the LORD. and the temple curtain tearing would seem all the more amazing, and God's love for the world in Jesus would be my greatest treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment